Tuesday, April 22, 2008

GET SMASHED

What do I mean by the title this time? Well, it is actually a useful mnemonic for remembering the causes of acute pancreatitis which the Dr thinks I might have. Steroids or autoimmune causes are most likely the problem. Actually, I am not sure if this would be chronic or acute pancreatitis since I have not had any pains except for cramps. My strange diarrhea has persisted for the last month and when I described how the nasty stuff looked and smelled, the Dr immediately related it to fat malabsorption. The Dr ordered a couple more blood tests to measure my amylase and lipase levels. I also got a prescription of Viokase 16 tablets which contains 16,000 units lipase, 60,000 units protease and 60,000 units amylase. I have to take 3 of these before each meal and one before a snack.

I also had another phlebotomy this afternoon. My hemoglobin was somewhat lower at 14.9 where two weeks ago it was 17.1. My platelets are still low at 81 so the phlebotomies do not seem to be helping that. The Dr told me to start taking multi-vitamins (without iron) that might affect my INR which was 1.48 today. I will have to get the INR checked again next week. My case is still strange as the Dr said he used me (unnamed) as an illustration in a recent lecture to all U of MN medical students.

The next big thing will be another bone marrow biopsy on May 9, the anniversary of my bone marrow transplant and also my 60th birthday. I see the Dr again on May 13th to get the results.

No comments: